Bennettsville, South Carolina Recreation
- Lake Paul Wallace:
- Lake Paul Wallace is a 600 acre recreational lake located one mile from the Inn.
- Activities at the lake include running, walking, swimming beach, fishing, dove hunting, picnicking, bird watching, boating and jetskiing.
- Click here for pictures and more info!
- Runners & Walkers:
- In addition to Lake Paul Wallace, runners and walkers can utilize the sidewalk and tree-lined streets throughout Bennettsville’s downtown commercial and residential areas and Marlboro County High Schools stadium track.
- Local historic tours include A Walk Through History, The South Carolina Cotton Trail Tour and the Bennettsville Come Rock With Us Interior Tour of 20 historic commercial buildings. (Hours and days open vary at these locations. We suggest calling ahead.)
- Tours are self-guided. You can begin touring at The Bennettsville Visitor Center 843-479-3941 or The Marlboro County Historical Museum/Dr. J.F. Kinney Home (Comprises four historic buildings): The Museum c. 1902; the Jennings-Brown House c.1826-1827 (open by appointment only); the Medical Museum; c. Early 1900s;, and the Female Academy c. 1833 843-479-5624.
- You may also call The Breeden Inn anytime for information 843-479-3665.
- The Inn provides a church directory with service times.
- Genealogical Research:
- Bennettsville is centrally located between the NC and SC Departments of Archives
& History. Marlboro County courthouse records date from 1785. Records can also be researched at the Marlboro County Historical Museum and the Marlboro County Library. Construction for the new Marian Wright Edelman Library in Bennettsville is presently underway.
- Other good nearby information avenues: Chesterfield County Genealogical Library 843-623-2244, Hartsville Genealogical Research Library 843-857-0300 and Darlington Co. Historical Commission 843-398-4710.
- Eight lighted public courts at the Bennettsville Community Center 843-454-2142 (Bennettsville Recreation Dept.) One mile from the Inn.
- Bennettsville Fitness Center:
- Located two blocks from the Inn. 843-479-5686
- The Arts:
- The Marlboro Civic Center
Lively performances and gifted talent offer cultural enjoyment and are presented in the beautifully restored Marlboro Civic Center. This circa 1917 historic vaudeville, and later, movie theatre is located in the heart of downtown Bennettsville. Marlboro Players Community Theatre, located at the Civic Center, sponsor scheduled Broadway musicals, plays, big band and ballet/dance. 843-454-9496
- The Marlboro Arts Council
Located in the Weatherly-Walker House Circa 1824, the Marlboro County Area Arts Council boasts the second oldest independent arts council in South Carolina. This heartbeat for the arts sponsors adult and children concert series, writers workshops, art camps, and various group art classes, ranging from garden and painted egg art to oil, acrylic and watercolor. The Arts Council holds an annual Jubilee Arts Festival and An Evening of Art & Jazz. Items made by local artisans can be purchased at ARTSMART GALLERY, located within this historic center.
- Art Galleries:
- The Marlboro Arts Council 843-479-6982
- The Marlboro County Library 843-479-5630
- The Marlboro County Historical Museum 843-479-5624
- The Marlborough Frame Shoppe & Art Gallery 843-479-0174
- Annual Bennettsville Events & Festivals:
- Two routes run through Bennettsville: Northern Crescent and Carolina Connector.
Both routes allow cyclists to view our scenic, rural countryside while exploring these two designated routes.
- For more details regarding the routes, click on:
- The Inn offers complimentary bicycles and helmets. Guests enjoy riding through our downtown, residential areas, and rural countryside. Lake Paul Wallace is one mile from the Inn and offers a 3.3 mile trail that centers the lake.
- For more information on parks, call the City of Bennettsville Recreation Dept. 843-479-5632.
- Lake Paul Wallace & Jacks Island at Lake Paul Wallace
- Kidsland Fun Park: Playground, grills, sheltered picnic area & restrooms.
- Lindsay Park: Sheltered picnic area, tables & grills, playground, ball field and restrooms.
- Woodland Park: Playground, sheltered picnic area, grills & restrooms.
- Memory Tree Lane: Located at the Visitor Center is sponsored by the Garden Gate Garden Club.